Monday, August 6, 2012

Book Review ~ Red Rain by R.L. Stine

Book RatingsBook Ratings
I was really disappointed with Stine's Red Rain, really disappointed! I don't remember reading Goosebumps as a kid, but my students love them (and Fear Street too). I figured if he had that many kid followers, then an adult novel would be a slam dunk! What a disappointment! I highly recommend he stick with writing for kids.

If you took out the sex, this one could've been for kids. It felt almost like he did write a creepy kids book and then decided to market it to adults, so he added in some R-rated content. The story itself was creepy, but was hugely lacking in its delivery.

The twins were creepy, and just annoying. Stine may have intended their accent to be a clue, but it fell short, "don't you know?" None of the characters were developed beyond a superficial level and everything they did felt predictable.

If you're seeking a thrill, you're not going to get it by reading Red Rain.

Thanks to Edelweiss & Touchstone for access to this title.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I requested this for the same reason you mentioned: Goosebumps and Fear Street. I haven't heard from them yet but after this review I think I'll be fine if I get declined.

    ReplyDelete